JGSPL Symposium 2017
Thanks for attending! Check back in August for information on our upcoming symposium.
Missed out? Click here to watch the morning session
9:30 – 10:00 AM
Registration and light breakfast
10:00 – 10:30 AM
- Noma Ndlovu, Vol. 25 Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law
- Lisa A. Clark, Vol. 26 Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law
- Tiffany Reid-Collazo, Vol. 25 Symposium Editor, Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law
- Camille Nelson, Dean, American University Washington College of Law
10:30 AM– 12:00 PM
Panel I: The Role of the Lawyer in Social Justice Movements
- Khiara Bridges, Professor, Boston University School of Law
- Dorcas Gilmore, Principal Attorney, Gilmore Khandhar, LLC, and Co-Founder, Baltimore Activating Solidarity Economies (BASE)
- Justin Hansford, Associate Professor, Saint Louis University School of Law
- Sunita Patel, Practitioner-in-Residence, Civil Advocacy Clinic, American University Washington College of Law
- Moderator: Llezlie Green Coleman, Associate Professor, American University Washington College of Law
12:00 – 1:00 PM
1:00 – 2:00 PM
Paul Butler, Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
2:00 – 2:15 PM
2:15 – 3:45 PM
Panel II: Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System
- Darren Hutchinson, Professor and Stephen C. O’Connell Chair, University of Florida Levin College of Law
- Ashley Nellis, Senior Research Analyst, The Sentencing Project
- Shubra Ohri, Associate, People’s Law Office
- Nicholas Peart, Plaintiff, Floyd v. City of New York
- Michael Pinard, Francis & Harriet Iglehart Professor of Law and Co-Director, Clinical Law Program, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
- Moderator: Angela Davis, Professor, American University Washington College of Law
3:45 – 4:00 p.m.
4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Workshop: Remedies for Resistance
- Tiffany R. Simmons, Esq., Lecturer, American University and Howard University;
- Bahiyyah Mohammad, Assistant Professor, Howard University;
- Kasandra Dodd, Supervisory Social Worker, District of Columbia Children & Family Services Agency; and
- Tarrick McGuire, Sergeant, City of Arlington Police Department, Texas, and Fellow, International Association of the Chiefs of Police
5:00 – 5:05 p.m.
5:05 – 7:00 p.m.